Even the most expensive and efficient air conditioning systems can struggle on very hot days. When the temperature soars over the 40 deg Celsius mark it becomes difficult for your air conditioner to maintain a desired climate. There are a few things you can do to help your air conditioner. This will work whether you have ducted or a wall hung split system.
- Close blinds and curtains. Windows are your biggest enemy on hot days, letting heat through into your house. Closing the blinds and curtains will help shut that heat out.
- Don’t open doors. Try not to open and close external doors allowing the cool air to rush outside each time.
- Run one zone. If you have a ducted system, try just running one zone so your air con can work more efficiently. The more zones you have on the harder the system has to work.
- Close off zone. Close internal doors to shut off the zone you are trying to cool, this will help keep the temperature down and the air con working efficiently. If you have a wall hung split again try closing the room off you have the inside unit in.
- Hose the outside fan. In extreme cases putting your sprinkler on to the fan on your outside condenser will help keep the system cool and prevent it from taking in too much hot air from the outside.
- Clean filters. The cleaner the filter the better the airflow. View previous blogs on how to do this.